Contra Costa Clerk


Marriage License Information

How do we obtain a marriage license?
A license to be married may be purchased at the Clerk's Office in downtown Martinez at 555 Escobar Street. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday; however, to ensure proper processing, please arrive no later than 4:00 PM

Both parties must appear together before the Clerk. An application form will be provided for you to complete. Blood tests are no longer required. Applicants must be unmarried and at least 18 years of age. 
Both must have a government issued valid picture ID that include full legal name and date of birth. If either party has been granted a dissolution within the last 12 months, a filed copy of the final judgment will be required. The license is issued at the time of appearance and is valid for 90 days.
Marriage License Filing
Public License
  • Public record
  • License good for 90 days
License can be used throughout the state of California 
Confidential License
  • Not available for public inspection
  • License good for 90 days
  • License can be used in the county where purchased only
Couple must take an oath stating that they reside together as husband and wife
How long is a marriage license good for?

The marriage license is good for 90 days from the date issued. If not used within 90 days, a new license must be obtained.
What happens to the license after the ceremony?

After the ceremony, the license is completed by the person performing the ceremony and is returned to the Recorder's office. It is required that the license be returned within 10 days after the ceremony. Once the license is received and if it is completed correctly, the license is recorded. At that time, you may purchase a certified copy of the license either by internet, telephone, mail or in person.
Checks are not authorized for Marriage licenses and Ceremonies.
We offer Debit and Credit Card options pending authorization of the specific bank or card type however certain cards are not accepted or do not work with our system.
There is no waiting period in California between the issuance of the license and the ceremony. If you wish to be married in a civil ceremony in our office by our staff, an appointment is required and can be scheduled by calling the office at 925-335-7900.

If either party is a juvenile, or if a confidential license is needed, please call the office and speak to a staff member at 925-335-7900.

If the license has already been issued but has been altered, lost or destroyed, please call the office and speak to a staff member at 925-335-7900.