To help reduce the rate of COVID-19 transmission, customers are urged to use online services for transactions or mail documents and forms to: Contra Costa County Clerk-Recorder 555 Escobar St., Martinez, CA 94553.
Requests may also be deposited in the mail drop box outside the Clerk-Recorder’s office.
For more information on in-person visits and restrictions, please call 925-335-7900
If you plan to mail the form or use our online order options below, a notarized application is required.
We maintain death certificates from 1905 to present.
- If the person died in Contra Costa County, you may obtain a certified copy from our office.
- If the person did not die in Contra Costa County, you will need to contact the Clerk-Recorder’s Office in the county of their death.
- Due to the increased occurrence of identity theft, new laws are in effect to protect birth, death and marriage records from misuse. California Health and Safety Code, Section 103526 permits only authorized individuals to receive certified copies of birth, death and marriage records. Those not authorized by law to receive certified copies will receive certified copies marked “INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY.”
- If the county is not known, please contact the State Office of Vital Statistics at www.cdph.ca.gov.
- The registrant, parent or legal guardian of the registrant.
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the death record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code.
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business.
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant.
- An attorney representing the registrant, the registrant’s estate, and person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant’s estate.
- A funeral director ordering certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of an individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code.
- Agent under power of attorney for health care, competent surviving spouse/adult child/parent/adult sibling/adult person respectively in the degrees of kinship, conservator.